Thursday, September 1, 2011

Dune "Fear"

Let us paint the picture of fear.  Biologically it's something built into us to give us an understanding of our past pains.  Fears is often caused by a memory of pain, either our own or someone elses'.  Watching Frank Herberts' Dune brought all the old ideas of pain that I used to have back.  Much like the ideas in the movie about pain and fear, I also believed that it was something I could control.  That I could repeat something however many times and the fear would just vanish. My beliefs, however, never rang true.  The more I tried to control my fear the more it grew inside me.  At the time  I even tried the Bene Gesserite mantra for fear:
                                                I will not fear
                                               Fear is the mind killer
                                               I will face my fear 
                                               I will let it pass through me
                                               Where the fear has gone there shall be nothing
                                               Only I will remain.
As silly as that sounds when you live your life without Christ and His nurturing care you will try anything to keep your emotions in check.  After becoming a Christian I learned that fear will not longer have a hold on me.  1 Peter 3:14 says, "But if you suffer for righteousness sake, happy are you and be not afraid of their terrors, neither be troubled."  Such an odd statement can only be followed if I understand that, "The Lord is in the midst of you, He is mighty, He will save..." (Zephaniah 3:15-17) and that He "will help me and I will not fall to my enemies." (Jeremiah 39:17-18 paraphrased).  Once I understand this concept I stand on the solid ground of Christ.  Like Muad'dib I stand boldly and declare the things that are true.  With Christ I say:
                                                 I will not fear
                                                 Fear is conquered through Christ
                                                I will give my fear to the Lord
                                                I will let Christ flow through me
                                               Where the fear has gone there shall be love
                                                Only Christ will remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment